Job Description – Child Protection Coordinator
Title: Child Protection Coordinator
Reports to: Projects Director
Based at: Chennai
The Child Protection Coordinator will work under Justice & Hope’s Project Umeed (Hope). Under this project the Child Protection Coordinator will work alongside schools, organizations and other institutions to create and maintain child protection programs. It is a programming, relational and counseling role.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
Working with Clients:
- Liaison with individuals and agencies that work directly or indirectly with children.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key leaders that can help further the end of child sexual abuse.
- Maintain the Justice & Hope Helpline.
- Conduct individual initial assessments of potential clients, carry out impromptu/emergency initials when necessary.
- To provide all clients with adequate information both verbal and written on the nature and scope of the Service.
- Recording basic details/along with issue.
- Act as a case manager, connecting needs and resources.
- Collect counseling follow up details.
Working with Justice & Hope team:
- Raise awareness on issues directly related to CSA.
- Speak publically and conduct trainings on Child Protection in Communities, Schools, Colleges, other institutions as well as interested stakeholders.
- Research best practices.
- Domestic travel as and when required.
- Conduct confidential correspondence with clients and relevant third parties.
- Update the client database on a weekly and monthly basis with client related.
- Assist management in developing the Service in areas such as policy development.
- Regular reporting and email communication.
- Any other duties as required.
- Passion for Justice.
- Self-motivated, demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- Counseling background and experience including the ability to work alongside other counselors.
- To be aware of and sensitive to the needs of clients from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- To undertake work in a manner that is friendly, flexible, courteous and respectful.
- To be discreet and aware of issues of privacy and confidentiality.
- To be a team member and to participate in the efficient flow of information to all work colleagues.
- To show reasonable flexibility in relation to the hours of attendance.
- To contribute as appropriate to the development of policy and procedures within the area of expertise of the position.
- To actively participate in staff meetings.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people in this job category. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
- The candidate must be a counsellor/psychotherapist with a qualification of M.Sc. Psychology, MSW or an equivalent degree with experience of min 2 years.
- He/she must comply with the ethical standards of the accrediting body.
- The candidate must have excellent assessment and report writing skills. He/she will adhere to agency policy with regards to confidentiality and will need excellent communication skills and sound judgment.
- Language skills – Preferred: English (proficient), Tamil, Hindi.